Not just for pie, pumpkin is amazing in savory dishes and shines delightfully in this seasonal recipe! Creamy, slightly sweet with chilli spices and bright and fresh cilantro and lime, this is so addictive and is amazing for any weeknight or to make ahead and freeze to enjoy anytime! Serve alongside steamed rice and roasted vegetables or warm naan bread for a delicious healthy meal!
- 1.5 Lbs Chicken Breast, Chopped into bite sized peices
- 2 lbs of Pumpkin ( Sugar Pumpkin, Buttercup Squash work best) Peeled, Seeded, Diced into bite sized chunks
- 1 Medium Onion, Diced Finely
- 1 Can Coconut Milk
- 3 Tablespoons Tomato Paste
- 1 1⁄2 Cup Chicken Stock
- 2 Tablespoon Fresh Ginger, Grated
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1 Red Chilli ( Optional ) spiced finely
- 1 Lime, Juiced
- 3 Teaspoons Curry Powder
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch
- Seasalt and Fresh Cracked Pepper To Taste
- Tablespoon Coconut Oil ( Vegetable or Olive Oil will work also)
- 1⁄2 Cup Fresh Cilantro Chopped.
To begin, heat a large pot over medium high heat and add coconut oil, onion, garlic, ginger and chilli until tender. Continue by adding chicken breast pieces and curry powder, stirring occasionally for 3-4 minutes until chicken is slightly browned; add pumpkin pieces, chicken stock and tomato paste and bring to boil, lower heat and simmer covered with a lid for 20 minutes until chicken is cooked through and pumpkin is tender. In a small bowl whisk together coconut milk and cornstarch until well combined, and add into the pot together with lime juice , season with salt and pepper to taste. Continue to simmer on medium heat until thickened slightly. Turn off heat and allow to cook slightly before serving on top of steamed rice or alongside warmed naan bread, garnish with fresh chopped Cilantro! Enjoy!